The 4th of July has always been one of my favorite holidays, fireworks, barbecue, summertime… doesn’t get much better than that. My favorite memories of the 4th are from summer camp. As the sun set the whole camp would get together and watch fireworks by the lake. The camp directors wife would make the most amazing fruit pizza, and since then it’s always been a treat I associate with the holiday :). In searching for a recipe, that could be made mostly by baking materials I already had on hand, I found Jo Cooks (thanks to the wonderful world of pinterest) and modified the recipe below from there!
- 1 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt (I used sea salt)
- 1/2 Cup Salted Butter (room temp)
- 3/4 Cup of Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1tsp of Vanilla extract
- 1 Package of Cream Cheese (8oz I used the low fat version)
- 1/4 Cup Butter (room temp)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 1/2 Cups of Powdered Sugar (About a small box worth)
- One Carton of Strawberries
- One Small Carton of Blueberries
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- Line a cookie sheet with tin foil (sprinkle flour on top so dough doesn’t stick to it)
- For dough start with two separate bowls
- 1st bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt
- 2nd bowl mix together butter, sugar, then egg and vanilla extract (then add in dry mix)
- Roll into a ball and press into desired shape on cookie sheet (Should be about 1/4 inch thick not much more…I ended up making mine a little too thick)
- Bake for 14 mins or till edges are golden brown, remove from oven, and let cool
- For frosting use an electric mixer to combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter (Next time I think I will try leaving out the vanilla extract on this step to make it a little less sweet)
- Frost and have fun decorating however you’d like!
What are some of your favorite 4th of July treats and traditions?
Have a happy 4th of July!